Saturday, January 29, 2011

Applesauce

Okay so tonight I decided to take the 20 lbs of apples that I bought the other day and make some homemade applesauce and apple butter.  I wasn't really to sure on how they were going to turn out, but oh my goodness they turned out amazing.  The kids (except Kenzie) loves the applesauce.  I added cinnamon to it to and it was a hit.  Apple butter is amazing also...I have never had apple butter until I went to Cracker Barrel.  So I thought I would give it a shot.  So here is the recipe for the Applesauce.  I will post the apple butter and pics in another post.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend, I know I am.  :)


3lbs of apples per quart
water
sugar




DIRECTION:

Wash apples; drain.  Core, peel and quarter apples.  Cook apples until soft in a large covered saucepot with just enough water to prevent sticking.  Puree using a food processor or food mill.  Return apple pulp to saucpot.  Add 1/4 cup of sugar per pound of apples or to taste, if desired.  Bring applesauce to a boil (212 F), stirring to prevent sticking.  Maintain temperature at a boil (212 F) while filling jars.  Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles.  Adjust two-piece caps.  Process pints and quarts 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. 



Recipe Variation:  spiced applesauce can be made by adding ground spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice, to they sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.  For a chunky sauce, coarsely crush half of the cooked apples; process the remaining apples through a food processor or food mill.  Combine crushed and sauced apples mixtures; continue as for Applesauce.




1 comment:

  1. that jar you gave me was the bomb!!!! I love it wish I was as crafty smart as you lol Id make a ton!!!

    ReplyDelete